Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tony can you hear me?

I had a foodie revelation the other day. Being a foodie is the things careers are made of. The Food Network is a cash cow, the Travel Channel is less about Travel as it has become about food, and even Bravo (the home of the Housewives) has jumped into the food obsessed culture of today by hosting shows that attract fabulous ratings like Top Chef. There are probably hundreds of thousands of food bloggers, and I am just another little fish swimming in the sea of food blogging. I do love food, and I do love blogging, but I'm no Perez Hilton here. I've been around the world, and I've done my fair share of eating. I can check eating in Italy off my list, I can check eating in Paris off my list, and I can now check eating in Thailand off my list. However, in life everyone has to have that one seemingly unreachable goal. Something that is so outlandish that if it ever does come true, it's as good as winning the multi-million dollar lottery jackpot. My absolutely absurdly laughable goal is to meet Anthony Bourdain. No, I don't mean I want to meet him on the streets of any given city in a whirlwind encounter where I forget my own name and hastily ask him where I should spend 7 bucks on a cheap meal he recommends, but I really want to sit down with Anthony Bourdain at a small unassuming eating establishment that serves something like foi gras on top of escargot with a touch of truffle salt. Tony not only goes to the El Bulli's of the world, but he finds the true hidden gems of our great cities and he lets the world know that McDonalds and Dairy Queen aren't the grand gourmet, but that the tiny establishment down the street that can whip up incredibly creative and fresh meals in a charismatic fashion are the places we should be investing our dining experiences. Because, really, everytime we enter a restaurant and order a three course meal it is an experience that should be savored. The real allure that Anthony Bourdain has is his lack of stuffiness. He doesn't dress in a designer suit and expect someone to kiss his ass, he just expects someone to wow him with a creative dish and some great food. At the end of the day, that's what I want my blog to be about- delivering fabulous food finds to the everyday person. Of course, every once in a while I'm going to get dressed up and spend an exorbitant amount of money on a meal that is, indeed, going to blow me away. However, for the most part, I just want to find delicious food that isn't served from a drive-thru window. One day, perhaps I'll be at the forefront of food blogging and Anthony Bourdain will film a show in my city. Maybe one day I'll get a phone call from his producers saying they would like me to be his tour guide for one afternoon and Carl and I can show him our favorite hot spots. Until then, though, I'll come back down to reality and keep on dreaming the impossible dream! I'll work on my dry sarcasm, and learn how to be a real badass. I'll avoid ritzy brunches that serve the unmentionable eggs benedict (thanks for the tip Anthony), and I'll keep exploring the cities I live in through the food they have to offer. And, hey Tony, if you're ever in South Florida, don't hesitate to give me a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment